In the realm of B2B marketing, LinkedIn reigns supreme as the ultimate social media platform. However, the methods of utilising it effectively have undergone significant transformations over the past couple of years. As a result, we’re delving into the world of LinkedIn engagement and exploring the best practices to optimise your presence in 2023.
LinkedIn is a social media platform geared towards business professionals, which makes it an ideal way to reach your B2B audience. Whether you’re looking to boost your company’s online presence or expand your personal network, mastering LinkedIn is essential. Here’s how to do it.
Changes to the algorithm
Before we delve into our expert advice, it’s important to understand how to effectively post on LinkedIn, and that all boils down to the platform’s algorithm.
In the past, sharing content on LinkedIn was a breeze. Posts would receive significant organic reach and engagement from individuals outside of your immediate network, especially when it came to sharing links, videos, or presentations.
As your 1st connections are engaged with your posts, they would be visible to their network (your 2nd connections), and the cycle would continue with your 2nd connections sharing with their network (your 3rd connections), and so on. This made it effortless to build a presence on LinkedIn and attract new connections.
However, this has changed significantly in the last year. It’s now considerably more difficult to reach individuals who are not already in your network, and you have to work harder to ensure your posts are visible in their feeds.
To overcome this challenge, you must create compelling content that captivates your connections and encourages likes, comments, and shares. Additionally, the higher the quality of engagements, such as lengthy comments and comment threads, the better your post will perform in the eyes of the algorithm.
How to engage on LinkedIn
It’s crucial to keep in mind that there isn’t a one-size-fits-all formula for success on LinkedIn. Each industry has its unique approach, and it’s necessary to experiment and see what resonates best with your audience.
However, certain tactics can increase your chances of success, regardless of the industry you operate in.
The modifications made to the LinkedIn algorithm indicate that we must exert more effort into the content we post. This implies using various forms of media and delivering the most significant value possible to your audience.
Your content combination may include:
- Text Posts: Crafting long text-only posts is an excellent way to demonstrate your expertise on a particular topic. It’s crucial to structure your posts like a story, with a hook at the beginning, a detailed explanation of the topic, and a summary at the end. You must put in the effort to keep your audience engaged throughout the post.
- Video Content: Utilising short, concise videos on LinkedIn is a more accessible way to convey your message rather than writing it out. People can process information more effectively when presented in bite-sized chunks without having to read it. This could include product demos, how-to videos, case studies, and testimonials.
- Articles/Newsletters: If you have more to say than LinkedIn’s character limit allows, don’t hesitate to transform it into a blog post or a newsletter. LinkedIn’s article feature offers more space to discuss your ideas without redirecting your followers away from LinkedIn.
- Sharing Content: It’s not just about promoting your own ideas and content on LinkedIn. If you come across something that you believe would benefit your followers, share it with them. This will help others improve their reach and signal to the algorithm that you’re interacting with other accounts.
Encourage your followers to interact with you
It’s a timeless technique – giving people clear instructions can prompt them to take action.
Include a call-to-action (CTA) at the end of each of your LinkedIn posts, encouraging readers to engage with your content. By doing so, you can increase the number of comments on your post, which can help elevate it to the top of users’ feeds.
Use appropriate hashtags
A couple of years back, hashtags were not commonly used on LinkedIn and were not searchable, making them less practical.
However, LinkedIn has made significant improvements by introducing a search function and placing greater emphasis on hashtags. As a result, individuals with common interests who are not connected can now view your posts on LinkedIn.
The more precise your hashtags are, the more engaged your audience is likely to be. However, it is important to strike a balance and avoid using overly specific hashtags that are never searched.
Complete your LinkedIn Profile
If you are managing a company page or a personal profile on LinkedIn, it is important to ensure that all the necessary sections are complete. This will enable visitors to your page to confirm they are in the correct place and enhance your page’s visibility on Google search results. While having a high-quality profile photo and a detailed description are the minimum requirements, it is best to fill out all the sections available.
Check out our CEO and founder Adam Houlahan’s page here as well as our Prominence Global company page for reference on how to set up your page today.
P.S. Here are 5 ways we can help you accelerate your Lead Generation results:
1. Follow Adam Houlahan’s LinkedIn Profile Now Click Here
2. Join our FREE LinkedIn Group and connect with entrepreneurs who are scaling too
It’s our Facebook community where smart entrepreneurs learn to get more leads and smart ways to scale using LinkedIn — Click Here
3. Take our FREE LinkedIn Productivity Assessment
Score your current presence and activity on LinkedIn against industry best practice benchmarks. Receive customised results instantly and as a BONUS you’ll get a FREE PDF download of Amazon’s Best-selling book “The LinkedIn Playbook” Click Here
4. Join our Content Ninja Club Today!
This Club is a community of professionals who are dedicated to mastering LinkedIn engagement and seeing real results. In fact, members experience a 300% to 1000% increase in content traction! The best part? You can join the Club accessing a comprehensive set of tools and resources for just $197 AUD/month with no lock-in contracts. Join today Content Ninja Club Registration
5. Learn more about the four most effective conversion strategies for LinkedIn success
When we analysed the most successful conversion campaigns amongst these, we found there are four very specific strategies that deliver the most consistent results year after year. We call them ‘The Magic Four’. Take the Questionnaire now to assess your suitability Click Here